Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Day 7: Hancock to Pawpaw

This was our longest day by the miles, 32, but still ended up in town at a reasonable time, about 4:30. The concept of time going by is kind of difficult to get the children to understand. The idea of "less breaks now equals longer break at the end of the day" isn't motivating when you're just always in the present. "But this bench is really comfortable, can't I just take a nap?" Maybe in a place that didn't have afternoon thunderstorms looming and mosquitoes. If we had camp gear and let the kids pick the spots, we would probably only get 10 miles done a day, because they would play in the grass and be fine with peanut butter and jelly for every meal. Grownups have a bit higher expectation of a bed, a convenience store with wine, and some sort of hot meal, even if that ended up being the grill inside the gas station in Pawpaw.
Bryan amazes me every day with his energy and improving skills. He invented "flying" on his bike, flapping his legs on a flat part, just to do something new. He rode most of the milage yesterday on his own at a good speed. "20 questions" was the entertainment for the day- although he still struggles with the concept  that animal is a bigger category than reptile. He has pretty much always been in good spirits, and has so much patience and love for Eryn.
Eryn  amazes me with her ability to delay and outthink the adults at every opportunity. "We need to stop, my feet are slipping off the pedals"- so we tie some elastic cord around the pedals. "We need stop, I can't open my chapstick/there's dirt in my eye/my back is itchy/there's a rock in my shoe/I'm cold, I need my jacket/I'm too hot, I need to take it off" She can do the pedalling, and its gotten better, but she's tough in a lot of ways.
Highlights:
- staying with Dan at his bikepath bed and breakfast! Dan is an absolute delight, he met us about 15 miles out to ride with us, and we really enjoyed his company, local knowledge, and hospitality. And clean laundry at his place.
- the Pawpaw tunnel was epic. The engineering of this part of the canal and the history of how it was built by hand is fascinating.
- the geography leading up to the tunnel was pretty cool too.
- the 22 or so miles of the Western Maryland Rail Trail was a lovely break from the C&O, smooth pavement!
Challenges:
 - finding time to write blog posts
- of course the lunch and dinner restaurants we had planned are closed on Tuesdays.
- the mud hasn't been a significant challenge yet. Maybe for Mike, he has the skinniest tires.
- the towwhee broke, Mike fixed it enough.
Recommendations:
- maybe I should have brought one more set of clothes for the kids; Bryan wore his swim trunks to dinner, Eryn got a t shirt at the bike shop that she wore during laundry day.

No comments:

Post a Comment